For the safety of the residents of Franklin County and our staff, FCCO has made the following changes starting today until further notice:
- We are cancelling all internships, shadowing, tours, and medical school/hospital rotations to our office.
- We are cancelling all autopsy viewing by law enforcement and other agencies.
- Funeral homes have been asked to come between the hours of 8am and 4pm or by appointment. When they arrive they are asked to stay in or by their vehicles, a staff member will come outside to assist.
- We are asking visitors to call instead of coming to our office. Answers to many questions by the public can be found on our website: coroner.franklincountyohio.gov.
- Please be patient. Our staff is small and if staff members need to remain home during this time our services will be delayed. We anticipate longer time delays for coroner reports and for public record requests. At this time our priority will be coroner reports to families of decedents.
The Franklin County Coroner's office encourages educational exploration in the forensic field. We offer internships for college students when pre-arranged through their schools. Students are required to be 18 years old. An internship at the Franklin County Coroner's Office means the student intern would report to the FCCO on a regular basis for a set period of time.
Interns must secure a favorable background investigation from the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation and Identification and the Franklin County Sheriff's Office prior to beginning the internship. This can be obtained at the Franklin County Sheriff's Office, Concealed Carry Office, 410 S. High St. Columbus Ohio, 43215.
Those interested in careers in forensics may be interested in checking out The National Association of Medical Examiners Website and read their document "So You Want to be a Medical Detective?".
Those interested in applying for an internship may send a cover letter explaining your areas of interest and career aspirations, as well as a curriculum vitae including relevant course work and experience to Charity Detty email@example.com. Once documents are received they will be forwarded on to the appropriate department for review and selected candidates will be contacted.
Please be sure to include which department you are interested in interning with: Front Office, Toxicology, Investigations, or Morgue.
Appropriate Areas of Study for Applicants by Department:
- Front Office -- administrative professional course work
- Toxicology -- chemistry, lab experience
- Investigations -- forensic science, law enforcement course work
- Morgue -- anatomy, physiology
If you are a group interested in learning more about the coroner's office, investigations and autopsies, we offer a one hour educational activity which includes a presentation and tour of the facilities. This is only available for ages 18 and over. We are only able to accomodate groups with less than 10 students and have limited time slots available. Please email Charity Detty, firstname.lastname@example.org with information on the group and contact information.